Jim Maring was born and raised in Fargo, North Dakota. Jim earned a Bachelor of Science degree in Finance at Arizona State University where he graduated cum laude. He then attended the University of St. Thomas law school where he earned his Juris Doctor degree. Following law school, he attended the University of Denver receiving a Master of Laws in Taxation.
Prior to joining the firm, Jim worked for over three years in the Corporate Appeals Unit of the Arizona Department of Revenue. His main focus at the Department consisted of analyzing corporate tax issues, negotiating with taxpayers to settle tax disputes, drafting contracts and other legal documents, and arguing the Department’s legal position in formal hearings.
Jim had previously been with the Tax Law Office since 2010, and he joined the Serkland Law Firm in 2014 when the two firms merged. Jim concentrates his practice in the areas of business taxation, business succession planning, tax controversy, Employee Stock Ownership Plans (ESOPS), corporate transactions, and estate planning.
In his free time, he enjoys playing golf, going to the lake, and enjoying time with friends and family.
- Master of Laws in Taxation, 2006, University of Denver
- Juris Doctor, 2005, University of St. Thomas School of Law
- Bachelor of Science in Finance, 2000, Arizona State University
- North Dakota
- U.S. District Court for the District of North Dakota, 2015
- U.S. Tax Court, 2015
Areas of Practice
- Employee Stock Ownership Plans (ESOP)
- Business Taxation
- Business Succession Planning
- Tax Controversy
- Corporate Transactions
- Estate Planning
Professional Associations and Memberships
- State Bar Association of North Dakota
- State Bar of Arizona
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- ESOP Association